2.25.2008

No, I Am Not Wearing A Pager

This morning I am hating my new friend, "The Event Monitor". That's right, I've been wearing a heart monitor for about 17 days now. For the past few months I've been having this wierd irregular heart beat, so my doctor is having me wear this monitor for 30 days to record my heart rate to see if anything is wrong. The thing is pretty much ancient. I have to wear two leads that connect to the monitor, and it constantly scans my heart rate. Whenever I feel something wierd, I push the "record" button and it saves the last minute plus another 30 seconds to its memory. It can only do this three times, then it's memory is full and I have to send the recording over the phone to empty it out. Not just any phone, mind you, it must be a land line phone. Which proves extremely annoying considering I and everyone else I know only uses cell phones. Therefore, pretty much the only place I can send recordings is at my office, and it makes this loud sonar-beeping screech while it sends the recording....not exactly pleasant. My heart is doing all kinds of wierd fluttering today so I have had to send recordings twice this morning. So freaking annoying. My i-pod holds 8o gigs but this freaking heart monitor can only hold three minute-and-a-half recordings? Seriously people, whoever you cardiac people are that make this thing, you need to update your technology. Half the time I can't record what I'm feeling because the thing is full and I can't get to a phone. Hopefully this will all turn out fine in the end, but for right now I am dreading the 11 more days I have to wear this thing! I just love the stares I get in public when I push the record button and it makes a loud SCREECH for thirty seconds. Or the inquisitive stare from the fitting room attendant when I ask for a different size in a pair of pants and she can't take her eyes off the wierd cord that is hanging out from underneath my clothes. Grrrr.

4 comments:

April said...

Bless your heart! I had to go through the same thing last Summer...but thank goodness I didn't have to wear the event....just a Holter monitor for 24 hrs then have an echo. It all turned out ok but was scary!
Good luck with yours..I'm sure it will turn out fine. In the meantime, try not to toss the event monitor over a cliff!
Lots of love!

Christen said...

Oh no! I'm sure everything will be fine but sorry you have to endure that annoying part!

Katie said...

I love the comparison between this and your iPod! I'm sure everything is okay, but we'll be thinking good thoughts :)

Troy & Katie said...

Keep us posted! I will be thinking about you!