4.28.2008

Grandpap

I apologize for not updating this in a while...my life was turned upside down two weeks ago when my grandfather passed away. I have had a very hard time coping with his death, because I have been fortunate to be close with all four of my grandparents and he was the first one to pass. My Grandpap, Andrew "Jeep" Prazenica, was a wonderful man and lived a full life to the ripe old age of 87. He was diagnosed with melanoma a few months ago, and after two major surgeries the prognosis was hopeful that the cancer had been cut out, and he was to start his chemo treatments about two weeks ago. Suddenly though he became very weak, and two days later he passed away. I am proud of my Grandpap for putting up a valiant fight for his life until the very end, and thankful that his passing was painless and swift. Of course in my selfishness I would give anything to just see him and hug him one more time, but for his sake I am glad he has found peace.

My Grandpap was the son of Slovak immigrants, and grew up in the Pittsburgh suburb of Tarentum, PA. He was a veteran of World War II, a naval hero who saved many of his shipmates' lives when their ship was attacked and sank into the ocean. He married my grandmother, Jean, and they have five children, including my mother, Joan, and they also have fourteen grandchildren. He was an avid outdoorsman who loved to be outside, he loved gardening, and he loved sports, especially baseball. I have fond memories of him as a loving grandfather, always laughing and smiling. As my uncle described him at the funeral, what is most memorable about Grandpap is that everybody liked him. He was always friendly and joking around with people and could put anyone at ease. This became abundantly clear to me at his visitation and funeral, when person after person came to pay their respects and couldn't stop talking to me about how friendly and likable he was. "Jolly Andy", that's how most people described him.

It touched my heart when my grandmother told me that Grandpap loved to read this blog, passing it on to all of his friends, and was reading it religiously up until the day that he died. As a dedication to him, I am going to do everything I can to keep this blog going. I love you Grandpap!!!


Grandpap with my cousins, Ryan and Evan

5 comments:

Christen said...

Oh Al, I am so, so sorry to hear of his passing. I will be thinking of you during the coming weeks! Love, CMT

April said...

Al, I am so sorry about your Grandpap. He sounds like a wonderful man. Lots of thoughts and prayers heading your way....

The Aguilars said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It seems like he was a great grandpa. I love that he was reading your blog....it was probably really neat for him to be able to know what's going on in your life. You and your family are in my prayers!

Katie said...

So sorry to hear about the passing of your grandfather. I love that you gave such a wonderful story of his life. I almost feel like I know him now. What a wonderful tribute. Love to you and your family.

Mo said...

Grandpaps are the best :) What a wonderful tribute to him. Thank you for sharing it with us!